Thursday 20 February 2014

My Top 10 TV Shows of All Time

At the moment, I have very little time to watch the tellybox but when I do, I just end up putting on a box set and watching the same TV shows over and over again. So here are my top 10!

1. The O.C.


My favourite TV show of all time. I think I was late to watch this as I was pretty young (about 10) when it first came out. I remember it used to be on Channel 4 every Sunday morning and I think I started watching from Season 3 and just fell in love with it straight away. After buying all the box sets, I watch them to death. Despite it finishing nearly 7 years ago, I still think it portrays the same themes as today's teenage drama shows do. It started in August 2003 and finished in February 2007, yet those four seasons are so amazing.

Favourite season: 3 (where it all started for me!)
Favourite scene: Marissa's death in Ryan's arms at the end of season 3 or Summer and Seth's Spiderman kiss in season 2
Favourite female character: Summer
Favorite male character: Seth

2. Gossip Girl


I fell in love with Gossip Girl from day 1. The clothes, the guys, the clothes. It's certainly the show that I have the most fashion envy when I watch it! It follows the lives of four rich New York kids and the immersion of the less rich Humphreys into their world. It literally has everything a girl could need from a TV show. After six seasons, it was decided that Gossip Girl would be no more. In a way, I wasn't sad. The last two series weren't as good if I'm being honest! I missed Jenny so much!

Favourite season: Season 3 (Jenny's style is amazing here!)
Favourite scene: Jenny's impromptu fashion show at an event in season 2
Favourite female character: Blair or Jenny
Favourite male character: Nate or Chuck

3. One Tree Hill


One Tree Hill started at a similar time to The OC yet lasted an extra 5 seasons! Now I've got all the box sets, I can finally enjoy them from beginning to end. Again, it used to be shown on Channel 4. When it was originally aired, I think I watched the first 4 series religiously and then just watched odd episodes from then on. I'm actually currently watching the box sets and am up to the season three finale. I love how relatable the characters are. In other teenage dramas, it's about kids with money (don't get me wrong, I love those shows) but it's nice to have characters who've had to earn their way in life too.

Favourite season: Seasons 1-3
Favourite scene: It's not a nice scene but the school shooting where Keith and Jimmy die in Season 3 is incredible.
Favourite female character: Brooke
Favourite male character: Lucas

4. Glee


I love musicals, I was brought up with them so a TV show that incorporates them is genius. No matter how many people slate Glee, just look at how many awards it's won! The concept is simple and I love how music is seen as a way of expressing yourself. I didn't know how it would work with some pupils going to New York but I like how it splits the episodes between McKinley and New York.

Favourite season: Season 4 (Rachel's style is to-die for!)
Favourite scene: Rachel singing Don't Rain On My Parade in Season 1 or the whole Madonna episode again in Season 1
Favourite female character: Rachel
Favourite male character: Blaine

5. The Hills


My biggest guilty pleasure. I have all the series on box sets. Yes I know it's all scripted but I love it! I like how with some characters, it focused on school and work and with others, it was all about having a good time. Now it's finished, you can see the characters which are still successful because they went to school! It went downhill when Whitney left and then I stopped watching it when Lauren left. Then it got more about the cat-fights and shopping than it did about friendship.

Favourite season: Seasons 1-4 (I just can't choose!)
Favourite scene: Whitney's last meal with Lauren before departing for New York at the end of season 4 (I cry every time) or any scene where Lauren is arguing with someone!
Favourite female character: Lauren or Whitney
Favourite male character: Brody

6. Downton Abbey


It's not often I like British TV but I make an exception for Downton, mostly because of the costumes! My favourite thing about it is that it shows both sides of the spectrum; we get to see the main house and their daily lives as well as downstairs and the servants. It's also pleasant to see how appreciative the rich are of their servants in this as I find that unusual. It makes me proud that it has won such prestigious awards in the US too.

Favourite season: Seasons 3 and 4
Favourite scene: Again it's not pleasant but the scene where Anna gets raped and the aftermath of events in Season 4, the acting by Joanne Froggatt is sensational.
Favourite female character: Lady Edith
Favourite male character: Tom Branson

7. Keeping Up With The Kardashians


God, I am obsessed with this programme! I usually hate reality TV but this just seems to entertain me so much! Now I know they are famous for being famous but I'm fascinated by how they live. I prefer the earlier seasons but I do love them all! The only thing I don't like is that once The Hills finished, Brody now has hopped onto this show because he's Bruce's son. Get your own show!

Favourite season: All of them!
Favourite scene: the episode about Kim's shopping addiction in Season 3
Favourite female character: Kendall
Favourite male character: Scott or Bruce

8. 90210


A bit similar to The OC in which it follows the lives of rich Californian teens. I've never seen the original series (I'm too young for that) but I imagine it's similar. My only disappointment was when Ethan didn't return for Season 2! And I think Ty should've been a series regular as he is beautiful. The earlier seasons are best as some of the new characters weren't as good as the older ones.

Favourite season: Seasons 1 and 2
Favourite scene:
Favourite female character: Annie or Silver
Favourite male character: Ty or Liam

9. Heroes


When this was first shown on TV, I watched nothing else. I became so obsessed with watching it every week, I'd be knackered the next day for school. It's a bit different from the usual things I watch with it being more sci-fi but I love how it incorporates regular life with superpowers. The characters are just normal people who happen to have these powers which is refreshing.

Favourite season: Season 1 (I like how each character is introduced seperately)
Favourite scene: the episode in which Clair and Peter meet before Sylar tries to kill her in Season 1
Favourite female character: Claire
Favourite male character: Peter

10. Smash


Last but not least is Smash. A TV show about making a musical is just perfect for me. Sadly it ended after two series but it showed the process of making a musical about Marilyn Monroe and the events leading up to opening night. I love the storyline of which is the right Marilyn. Certain cast members were changed after season 1 and I think it got better.

Favourite season: Both
Favourite scene: the season finale of Season 1 which is opening night of the musical
Favourite female character: Karen
Favourite male character: Derek

2 comments:

  1. I love Gossip Girl, it has to be one of my all time favourite tv shows.. The Walking Dead is one of my favourites at the moment! x

    Rachael | overdosedemaquillage.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't Gossip Girl amazing? I've never watched The Walking Dead though, I'm not really into that sort of genre! x

      Delete